Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Grown-Up Goodness: Summer Markets







Last week we sat down as a family to make our big summer list, and it was such fun to see the kids each get excited as their creative ideas were added. I, too, love roasting marshmallows and naming the animals I see in the clouds. Summer brings out the child in me...

And yet, I had this feeling that I should have my own list. I am a mom, and it's my most beloved and amazing vocation. I am also a wife, a friend, a professional, an artist, and a little bit of a grown-up. So as we march through the weeks of summer (which are marching by so fast, aren't they?), I'll be covering my own list of must haves for the season. It's my way of holding myself accountable, to make sure that these days of warmth include some time for me to feed and nurture what I want to give back to those I love so much.

#1 Fresh Markets


Living in an area surrounding by farms, I am blessed to have the ease to hop over to a fruit stand here and a larger farmer's market over there. I smile as I drive through back streets and see the handmade carts with fresh veggies, fruits, and flowers and the inevitable can left out to collect the suggested price from drive-by customers. These markets pop up all over the place, and to me they scream summertime, small town, and all that is good in humanity.

We took a roadtrip to a charming town on the shores of Lake Michigan this weekend, and we stopped at my favorite market aptly titled, "The Summertime Market." I always look forward to pulling into the small gravel lot to see what fresh, local goodness awaits.

The entire market is housed in an indoor/outdoor space no larger than a single-car garage, but everything is displayed so well in authentic wire baskets, with used wooden crates, chalkboard signs - every detail carefully attended. It's a little aged, and a little broken, in all the best places.

We purchased an amazing red raspberry pie that left me feeling like I should capitalize its name. Definitely memorable.

Here's the market through my eyes and the filters of Instagram.
 
How would you finish this equation? Summer equals ____________. I'd love to hear!! Maybe I can add it to my grown-up goodness this summer.

Thanks for the visit! So happy to have you here.

XOXO, MJ

P.S. If you want to experience this loveliness for yourself, visit the oh, so wonderful website.

P.P.S. Check out Stephanie's great trip to her farmer's market (and that pizza!!).

No comments: